Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pepperoni Pinwheels

About a week ago my parents randomly decided to have a post-4th of July party with friends. My mom asked me to make Pepperoni Pinwheels for an appetizer. I got the recipe 4 years ago at my cousin's high school grad party (her mom and sister had made them and I asked for the recipe). A week later, I made them for Kevin's high school grad party. I've also made them every Christmas Eve since as well as for other events. They're very addicting so it's probably best to multiply the recipe to make more than the 2 dozen you get in one batch. I always use pizza sauce for dipping.



Pepperoni Pinwheels

(the copy doesn't give the name of the source but according to this site, it was in the April/May 2007 issue of Taste of Home Magazine on page 22.)


1/2 cup diced pepperoni
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 egg, separated
1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls


  1. In a small bowl, combine the pepperoni, cheese, oregano and egg yolk. In another small bowl, whisk egg white until foamy; set aside. Separate crescent dough into four rectangles; seal perforations.
  2. Spread pepperoni mixture over each rectangle to within 1/4 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into six slices.
  3. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets; brush tops with egg white. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.

 
 
As in the past, these were a hit. Even though I doubled the recipe, we ran out pretty quickly. It's always frustrating but fun to make these. I did learn one thing, though - don't pull the crescent dough out of the fridge ahead of time! It was very soft to work with and almost hard to pinch the seams.


No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...