Friday, October 17, 2014

Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies

Over the last few years I've lost interest in using box mixes to make cakes and brownies. Sure they're good in a pinch but why not make something from scratch? That's why I try to save recipes and buy cookbooks that embellish the box mixes. And when I decided earlier this week that I wanted to make peanut butter brownies to "break in" my new KitchenAid stand mixer and bake for the first time in my new apartment, I ended up finding a recipe similar to what I wanted in Betty Crocker's Fix with a Mix Desserts cookbook. It's not exactly what I wanted but I couldn't find that. And as I've said before, I'm no good at creating recipes on my own.

My new toy. Isn't it purrty?





Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies (Fix with a Mix Desserts, pp. 136-7)




Brownies

1 box (18.3 oz) Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
Water, vegetable oil, and eggs as indicated on brownie mix box

Filling

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk (yes, that is almond milk you see. A little Google search showed that using almond milk instead of regular milk in baking is fine for most desserts)

Topping

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350*F. Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray (For easier cutting, line pan with foil, then grease foil on bottom only of pan.)
  2. Make brownies as directed on box using water, oil, and eggs. Bake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
  3. In medium bowl, beat filling ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over brownie base.
  4. In small microwavable bowl, microwave topping ingredients uncovered on High 30-60 seconds; stir until smooth. Cool 10 minutes; spread over filling. Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until set.
  5. For brownies, cut into 9 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
These were pretty easy to make. They ended up being a big hit at work. I was thanked for bringing them in then told to never do it again - ha! I told them fat chance - I like to bake and I have a brand-spankin' new KitchenAid stand mixer. I'm definitely baking again.








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...