Saturday, April 8, 2017

Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

I've never really had the popular lemon poppy seed flavor. If I'd had, it wasn't memorable. So for my next Sunday breakfast (after the waffle recipe I made in high school cooking class - one of my faves!) I decided on something lemon poppy seed flavored. I also decided on bread because I had mentioned to my family that I don't have a loaf pan and Kati said "Take some of ours! We got more than we need for wedding gifts." So I now have two loaf pans. I searched all the sources I have and finally decided on a recipe from the Joy of Baking website (I swear, this was one of the most decisive moments I've ever had. So quick to pick the flavor and type).







Lemon Poppy Seed Bread (Source)




Ingredients


  • 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (I just used lemon extract)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk


Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350℉ (180°C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour, or spray with a non stick vegetable/flour spray, the bottom and sides of a loaf pan (8 x 4 x 2 1/2 inch) (20 x 10 x 7 cm). Line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment or wax paper (I just sprayed the pan and the bread came out just fine).
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and poppy seeds .
  3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until softened (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined. 
  4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  5. When the bread is done, remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Cool the loaf in the pan for about 20-30 minutes then remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. (There's also a lemon glaze that you brush on after taking the bread out of the oven but because I was going to freeze the bread, I left that off.)
After the bread cooled, I sliced it up, wrapped what I didn't eat in foil, and put it in the freezer. As for flavor, I couldn't really taste the lemon but I could definitely taste/feel the poppy seeds. Maybe next time I'll add a little more lemon extract (or even a splash or two of lemon juice).











No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...