Sunday, December 31, 2017

Lemon Cutouts

For Kati I also decided to stay away from chocolate. I focused specifically on lemon since I remembered that she likes limoncello, an Italian lemon liqueur (like my mom, she has happily embraced being an Italian-by-marriage). When I came across Lemon Cutouts in a Taste of Home Best-Loved Cookies & Candies magazine, it seemed perfect: a couple years ago for my birthday, she, Anthony, Kevin, and Helen got me a set of cookie cutters but I hadn't yet had the opportunity to use them. Until now.






Lemon Cutouts (Taste of Home Best-Loved Cookies & Candies 2012, on shelves until 12/2012, pg. 18)



Ingredients


  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel (or extract)
  • Colored sugars

Directions


  1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and lemon peel; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
  2. On a lightly floured surface (read: lots of flour), roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-in cookie cutters dipped in flour.
  3. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars. Bake at 350℉ for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.


As you can see, I went a little overboard with the sugars. The cookies in the magazine are lightly sprinkled but I'm the kind of person who likes to cover a surface. Either way, Kati still liked them.








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...