Sunday, September 2, 2018

Easy S'mores Cookie Bars

This year for Chelan, I ended up baking some treats and distributing them amongst the 3 units. It started with "I should make M&M cookies since Nonni probably won't be well enough to make them." (she's been having heart problems this year) and evolved into "Why don't I make treats for everyone to enjoy in their units?" I ended up making the cookies, Chocolate Chip Blondies, and a s'mores bars recipe I found on Pinterest (I had some graham cracker crumbs and marshmallow cream leftover from Kevin's birthday present). Since I was making it right before vacation, I decided not to take the time to do a blog post for the s'mores bars.

They were a big hit. Definitely a favorite. So when an end-of-summer and successful-busy-season potluck was planned at work, I knew exactly what I was going to make. I figured, if my family liked the bars, why wouldn't my co-workers? The recipe comes from Fabulessly Frugal.






Easy S'mores Cookie Bars (source)




Ingredients


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups marshmallow topping, Marshmallow Fluff or Creme (about 7 ounces. Or 1 jar. If I ever make this a third time I'm getting 2 jars)
  • 2 cups milk or semisweet chocolate chips (for the work version I decided to use Hershey bars and break them up into individual pips. Apparently a pack of 6 bars can be turned into 2 cups of pips)

Directions


  1. Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a 9X13-inch pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the 2 short sides. Grease the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
  4. Divide the dough in half. Press half into the bottom of the prepared pan until the dough is evenly flattened.
  5. Dollop the marshmallow topping on top of the cookie base and gently spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
  6. Scatter the remaining dough over the top in clumps. Don’t worry about completely covering the top.
  7. Bake the bars until golden brown, about 30-32 minutes. Cool completely. Remove from the pan with the foil, cut into bars, and serve (I just left it in the pan. Easier with the time-crunch I had and the way our potlucks are setup).


I left the pan out overnight (a normal occurrence for these potlucks). When I checked on it in the morning the s'mores were mostly gone. And by lunch that day, the pan was empty.

I really need to start making decisions so I can bake for work more often.









No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...