Friday, February 26, 2016

Root Beer Cookies

In the 15 years she's been around, there are a few things I've learned about my cousin Carly when it comes to food: she's allergic to peanuts, she'll eat almost everything non-Italian with ketchup, and her soda of choice is root beer. So when I was pinning all my bookmarked recipes I was reminded of a root beer float cookies recipe I made sure to remember for Carly's birthday. However, when I looked at the recipe, I realized that not only was it too simple but it required an ingredient that's mainly available online: root beer concentrate. Since I was looking up the recipe with not a whole lot of time to get the concentrate shipped, I started searching for a recipe that used actual root beer. I finally found these Root Beer Cookies on Simply Bakings.







Root Beer Cookies (source)



Ingredients


  • 2¼ cups all purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoons salt
  • ½ teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • ⅓ cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 tablespoons Root Beer or 1 drop Root Beer Extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips


Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a medium size bowl add flour, salt, baking soda and mix. (I would suggest doing it this way. I did it the way I normally do - went down the ingredients list - and almost panicked when the cookie dough wasn't gooey like many cookie doughs are. Adding the soda saved it. Very glad I had that instead of the extract)
  3. In a large bowl, add butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla extract and continue mixing. Add root beer and mix until everything is combined. Then add flour mixture and mix until well combined, then add chocolate chips.
  4. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
I think I might try this recipe again but use Diet Dr. Pepper (my fave) instead and see what happens.


I got texts from both Carly and her mom (Auntie Vicki) gushing over the cookies. Auntie Vicki even suggested that I do something with my baking. I told her the thought had crossed my mind occasionally but that I didn't know what I'd do or how I'd go about it.







No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...