Sunday, March 13, 2016

Butter Rolls

I decided this year that I wasn't going to make New Year's resolutions. Over the last few years, any that I've made ended up being broken within a month. However, in the last couple weeks I kinda made one: make use of the recipes I've saved both online and in hard copy. I'd somewhat started back in November with breakfast (something that I hope to do again) with ... interesting results, but this time I was leaning more towards the rolls I sometimes have with dinner and the dessert I always have with dinner. For the rolls, I looked through the dozens of recipes I've saved to my Bread/Rolls board on Pinterest. I finally decided on some butter rolls that looked similar to the store bought cloverleaf ones some people get for a holiday dinner.







Butter Rolls (source)



Ingredients


  • 1 pkg yeast
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 C warm water
  • 1 C milk
  • 1/2 C butter*
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 4 1/2 C flour
  • 1/2 C butter, melted for dipping*


Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. In a small pan bring milk to a boil and add butter and salt. Turn off heat and allow butter to melt.
  3. Cool in refrigerator until it comes to room temperature.
  4. In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and add 1 tsp sugar. Allow to proof.
  5. In another larger bowl beat 3 eggs; add 1/3 C sugar and mix together.
  6. Add cooled milk and yeast to egg mixture.
  7. Add flour, one cup at a time beating with mixer constantly. This will be slightly thicker than cake batter.
  8. Cover batter with a towel and allow to rise until double.
  9. Grease counter top (I just used my butter spray. Worked pretty well) and place dough on counter. Do not add more flour unless it is just too sticky to handle.
  10. Form dough into small, 1 inch size balls.
  11. Melt 1/2 C butter and dip each ball into butter before placing in pan. Put three balls into each muffin tin to form cloverleaf rolls.
  12. Let rise until double.
  13. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown


*The blogger who posted the recipe suggested using salted butter for dipping and that the recipe needed more salt in general so I used salted both for both the recipe and dipping.*




They ended up not looking ENTIRELY like the cloverleaf rolls. While I wasn't expecting them to given the size that I rolled the dough (my guess is closer to 2 inches), I was still hoping they would look not as light.Still, they freeze extremely well and my method of leaving the roll out to defrost while my main dish is cooking then sticking it in the microwave or toaster oven to heat up seemed to work with these. Very buttery and delicious.








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...