Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Chocolate Cheesecake

A lot can happen in 3 years. Like your cousin deciding he does like chocolate but he doesn't like cake. So when I was assigned to make Matteo and Declan's birthday "cake" for our party for them and Kevin this year, I looked for a chocolate cheesecake (it was at their request anyway). Since I'm not entirely sure who likes what flavors that aren't chocolate, I decided to keep it simple. And super chocolatey. I mean, chocolate crust, chocolate filling, chocolate topping - that's not too much chocolate, right?

But before I get to the recipe, I give you: the birthday boys!

Matteo and Declan with their cheesecake

Kevin joins the fun




Chocolate Cheesecake (Taste of Home Cheesecakes & More, on shelves until 1/2011, pg. 12)




Ingredients

Crust

  • 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares, though I just used store-bought crumbs)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling

  • 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract (I ended up leaving this out)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping

  • 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon honey


Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar, and cocoa; stir in butter until crumbly. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a greased 9-inch springform pan; set aside. (I'm not sure I went up 1 inch; I couldn't tell but I didn't think it would matter)
  2. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in melted chocolate and extracts just until blended. Pour into crust.
  3. Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run knife around the edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
  4. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips, cream, and honey; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Pour topping over the cheesecake. Chill for at least 4 hours or until topping is set. Refrigerate the leftovers.
As a perfectionist I wasn't too happy that the topping didn't cover the entirety of the cheesecake surface but at the same time, it left a nice border of cheesecake around the filling. So everything worked out.



Everyone loved it. Someone ever said that I could probably sell it (not sure where I'd do this but OK). There was about a quarter of it left (after all, Auntie Vicki made Kevin a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting) but I'm sure my parents finished it pretty quickly. Because, you know, chocolate (plus, it was their pan so it kinda had to stay there).








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...