Sunday, January 27, 2019

Buttery Spritz Cookies

Growing up my mom had a cookie press that we would always bring out at Christmastime. We made trees, wreaths, and ornaments with it using colored and chocolate dough, usually topping them with sprinkles. I think we also brought it out at other times of the year every once in a while too (there's a heart plate and a bunch of flower plates). So when Mom had a Pampered Chef party to benefit her Relay for Life team years ago, I bought one. Or so I thought. Turns out it's a decorator of some kind. So I did a little research and added a Wilton cookie press to my baking-themed Amazon wish list.

Somehow Kevin and Helen found out about this (possibly from Kati - it was one of the ideas I gave her for Christmas) because look what I got from them:


I decided to break it in last week when I had a day off from work. I also wanted to use up the half-dozen eggs I had leftover - except the only recipes I could find had just one egg (oh well - I do like egg salad sandwiches). I finally settled on a recipe from one of Taste of Home's special edition holiday magazines as this one also allows for food coloring (something I also wanted to use up).






Buttery Spritz Cookies (Taste of Home Best-Loved Cookies & Candies 2012, on shelves until December 31, 2012, pg. 27)



Ingredients


  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Food coloring, optional (I had a little bit of red left so I used that)
  • Colored sugar and decorating candies, optional (I remember using these as a kid. Didn't want to do it this time though)

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture; mix well. Tint with food coloring if desired. (There's a tip on the page that I didn't follow because the recipe usually includes it when necessary - chill the dough first! I really need to do this no matter what for shaped and drop cookies. I mean, I already do it for chocolate chip cookies despite the recipe not saying anything.)
  2. Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate as desired. (Follow the directions of your cookie press for how to fill. Make sure to read them all the way through too - I didn't so my first several were a little disfigured and you couldn't entirely tell their shape.)
  3. Bake at 375℉ for 6-8 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks to cool.

I gotta say - not bad for my first time in a long time (and my first recipe not included with the cookie press). I do wish the design was a bit more defined. Next time will definitely be a "learn from my mistakes" opportunity.








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...