Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Scotcheroos

When I was growing up we'd spend most of our 4th of Julys camping on Camano Island. My dad's high school friend's parents owned property there and my dad and all their friends had been camping there since they met. This is where I first remember having scotcheroos: peanut butter Rice Krispies treats topped with a melted chocolate-butterscotch chips mixture. I even copied the recipe from what the mom had written down - which ended up being unnecessary as it's pretty much from Rice Krispies itself.

I'd been craving them for a while so I decided to make them for Rowan Fae's annual St. Patrick's Day weekend road trip - except due to scheduling conflicts, we only had two shows on Sunday night. Oh well - these last a while so more for me!







Scotcheroos (source)


Ingredients

  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 6 cups Kellogg's® Cocoa Krispies® cereal or 6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
  • 1 package (6 oz., 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions

  1. Place corn syrup and sugar into 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Mix well. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated. Press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly (I just melted them in a microwave-safe measuring cup). Spread evenly over cereal mixture. Let stand until firm. Cut into 2 x 1-inch bars when cool.


I think I might've screwed up. Maybe I didn't let the mixture boil fully. All I know is that these were harder to cut and eat compared to before. I even thought I was gonna break my teeth as I took a bite! My mom suggested I zap each piece in the microwave for up to 15 seconds. It's mostly worked.

Because I decided that a sweet and a savory snack would both be needed for the road trip, I made pepperoni pinwheels this year. In an effort to save time, I stuffed as many as I could in a 9x13 pan. It somewhat backfired as most of the rolls were a bit doughy and underbaked. Maybe a jelly-roll pan next time. There were a few leftover that I was able to put loosely in a pan in my toaster oven. Here's the difference:










No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...