Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cake Mix Cookies

A couple years ago my family and I went to Boston for a week. On our first night, we were walking around when I came across Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip cookies. I took a picture as a reminder to look up the recipe and make them. Flash forward to a couple weeks ago: I hadn't yet made them but when I came across them at Safeway, I grabbed a container. Holy deliciousness! (which didn't really surprise me - in my opinion their chocolate chip cookies are better than any Nestle Toll House recipe that I make.) When my mom asked me to make the dessert for our night to make dinner during our extended family's annual vacation to Chelan, I tried to find a cookie or bar recipe that would be great for 20+ people. I started looking at the dozens of recipes that I've bookmarked (no cookbook/magazine = one less thing to bring) and came across one for Cake Mix Cookies from Sweet & Simple. This sounded perfect since it would mean fewer ingredients to bring from home and less time in the kitchen mixing it up. I decided to turn them into bars because it would mean even less time in the kitchen (no having to wait for a dozen cookies to bake at a time) and they could be cut into any number of bars.





Cake Mix Cookies (source)

1 18.25 oz cake mix
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup chips or candy pieces (I just emptied the bag, which is approximately 2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In medium bowl, combine cake mix, butter, vanilla and eggs.  Beat on medium until well blended. Stir in chips or candy.  Drop by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 11 minutes.  Cool for one minute on cookie sheet, and then remove to wire rack. (for bars I just spread the cookie dough into a greased 9x13 pan and baked for 20 minutes.)


The only thing that was a problem (in my opinion, anyway) was that everyone kept referring to these as brownies. I don't know if it was the texture or just the fact that they were in bars.






No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...