Sunday, April 24, 2016

Triple Chocolate Scones

As usual, I gave up chocolate for Lent this year. It's actually kind of easy to give up but at the same time, hard. Over 40 days without my favorite flavor? Very possible (I do have alternatives) even though I still count down the days until Easter. So when I started looking for Sunday morning breakfast recipes (on Pinterest, as I've begun to completely forget my other resources), I focused on chocolate chip scones. Scones because I'd only ever made them twice (and once was with a mix) and chocolate chip because I still have leftover chocolate chips from holiday baking. I eventually found these Triple Chocolate Scones I had pinned. I think I screwed up while making them though.









Triple Chocolate Scones (source)




Ingredients:


  • 2/3 cup cream or milk
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
  • For glaze (optional):equal parts cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar, milk (obviously I didn't make the glaze since I wasn't eating them all at once)

Instructions:


  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place rack in center of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a small bowl whisk together the cream or milk, egg, and vanilla extract. 
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the chocolate chips. Add the cream mixture and stir just until the dough comes together (add more cream and/or flour as necessary). (I didn't not add extra flour. Big mistake.)
  4. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Shape the dough into a 7 inch round and cut into eight wedges. Brush excess flour from the bottom of the scones, and place on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream or milk. (Forgot to do this. Kinda obvious as to why right?)
  5. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until they are firm around the edges but a bit soft in the center. A toothpick inserted into the center of a scone will come out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Add glaze (optional). (I found it interesting that there were no instructions for the glaze. My guess is just mix them all together until you get a good consistency.)



The scone dough was more of a brownie/cookie batter. It was very sticky on the counter and I could barely knead it. Probably should've added more flour first. I ended up getting cookie-like scones. If I can ever call them scones. They still tasted good. I think I'll try to make scones one more time.



This is how the pros cut the butter into small pieces on Food Network. Seems to work.







No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...