Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Soda Cake

As much as I like sticking with the familiar, I like to try new things when it comes to baking. Like macarons (still working on perfecting those things. Almost got it though). So when my mom asked me to bake the dessert for her and Dad's night while in Chelan, I decided what better time to bake a soda cake than vacation?

Yup, that's right. A cake baked with soda.

I've seen them throughout the internet, specifically Pinterest. All you do is take a boxed cake mix and a 12-oz. can of soda in a complementary flavor (like chocolate mix and pretty much any dark-colored soda), mix the two together in a bowl, pour the batter in a pan, and bake. Simple, right?

Well, let's find out:



Soda Cake (source, although you can probably just Google "soda cake" for combo ideas)





Ingredients


  • 1 box cake mix, your choice
  • 1 12-oz. can soda, your choice
  • Frosting of your choice (optional, but highly recommended)


Directions


  1. Pour soda over cake mix in a bowl and stir
  2. Pour batter into greased pan (or pans if you're making a round layered cake)
  3. Bake according to the directions
  4. Frost if desired


For this cake, I used a chocolate cake mix and Vanilla Coke Zero. I hope to one day make this with Dr. Pepper. It would also be interesting to see what unexpected flavor combos (like lemon cake and root beer soda) would taste like.



Everyone loved it! Kat (my cousin Stefan's girlfriend) couldn't stop talking about how moist the cake was. Personally, I couldn't taste the soda or vanilla. But it was still a delicious cake.





No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...