Friday, May 10, 2019

Buttermilk Waffles

When I was a senior in high school I was FINALLY able to do what I had wanted to do for several years: take electives. Between band and the required ASL, science, and PE, I didn't have time in my schedule for any class that wasn't a basic requirement (English, math, social studies/history). But since science and PE were only required for a certain number of years and not enough students signed up for 3rd Year ASL, I had room for two classes each semester that could be WHATEVER I WANTED. (Apparently this ended up being step 1 to my current state of independence.)

One such class was creative cooking. It covered 5 courses: Breakfast, Appetizers, Main Dishes, Side Dishes, and Desserts (I'll give you one guess which one was my favorite 😏). For most units/courses we were given two recipes and each group picked the recipe we would make. As the class went on, we compiled all the recipes in a binder for future use (and, obviously, our final grade). In the 14 years since I've probably only made one recipe from it: Buttermilk Waffles. These things basically taste like the Eggo© Cinnamon Toast Waffles in the grocery store freezer section. They're a bit time-consuming to make but so worth it! After making it several times for Sunday morning breakfast since moving into my apartment, I figured I should share the recipe.







Buttermilk Waffles (KWHS Creative Cooking class)




Ingredients


  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature (I usually use the milk+lemon juice substitute but this time I actually bought a carton of buttermilk at the store. Still tastes the same.)
  • 8 tbsp (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla


Directions


  1. Heat waffle iron. In large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
  2. In separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour into dry mixture; combine.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold whites into batter (I've discovered that it's fastest to use an electric hand mixer to beat the whites. It's also easy on the arms/shoulders).
  4. Ladle batter onto the waffle grid (2/3 cup gets enough batter for my iron). Close lid; bake 3 to 5 minutes, until no steam emerges from the waffle iron.

I usually get about 8 waffles. They almost always break apart into quarters as I take them out (which is weird - I think it's my waffle iron because other waffle recipes do the same thing) but it kinda works for reheating and eating. I eat two that week and freeze the rest (with a sheet of wax paper between each waffle). Before going to bed on Saturdays I take two out to defrost then pop them in the toaster oven in the morning. Nice and crispy. I sometimes add chocolate chips to the batter - so good!








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...