Sunday, June 16, 2013

Thin Mint Gooey Cake Bars

Apparently Kevin had wanted lasagna for his birthday, not burgers and hot dogs like a couple weeks ago. So tonight we got together to celebrate Father's Day and so Kevin could have his birthday lasagna. I was asked to make something for dessert for the both occasions. I decided to make something with Thin Mints since both everyone likes Thin Mints (especially my dad, who didn't want to make a big deal out of the day) and since I had bought a box specifically for baking with. After some searching, I found this recipe on the blog Picky Palate.





Thin Mint Gooey Cake Bars (source)


1 Yellow Cake Mix
1 stick softened butter
1 large egg
1 cup chocolate chips (I ended up using the whole bag)
1 cup Andes Mint pieces (I ended up using the whole bag)
1 small can Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz.)
20 Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies, broken into pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9×13 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray (or line with foil)

2. Place cake mix, butter and egg into a large bowl, mix until dough forms. Using hands is easiest to mix together. Press dough into bottom of prepared baking dish. Top evenly with chocolate chips and Andes mints. Drizzle sweet milk over top and top with broken pieces of Thin Mint Cookies. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until baked through. Immediately after removing from oven, take a plastic knife around edges to loosen. Let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve. (Jenny, the blogger at Picky Palate, said that the recipe makes 12 bars but I was able to cut nearly twice that)

Each layer
The main reason I used the whole bag instead of half for the chocolate chips and Andes baking chips was because, well, my mom likes to buy bags. And bags. And bags.

This is just the top layer of our "collection"

I, on the other hand, like to use up what's there before buying something new. A concept my mom doesn't seem to understand when it comes to shopping (grocery shopping included).

As for the bars: they were a hit! Everyone who had one loved them. I'm probably gonna take them into work this week. Hopefully they'll get eaten up quickly.


No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...