Sunday, December 31, 2017

Coconut Chocolate Chip Biscotti

It's that time of year! Time for me to wear out myself and my KitchenAid mixer in order to give the best gift I can think to give: baked goods. Picking recipes out is often hard because even when I have specific flavors to go off of, there are a lot of options in the form of cookies, brownies, etc. Still, I somehow find recipes for everyone.

Nonni's was a bit easy. I decided to make her something with coconut in it. I do have a few coconut recipes saved for her and Mom on Pinterest so I looked at those before deciding on Coconut Chocolate Chip Biscotti from Desserts Required.






Coconut Chocolate Chip Biscotti (source)



Ingredients

Dough:


  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • ¾ cup miniature chocolate chips

Topping: (I did not do this as I didn't find it necessary)


  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugar together in large mixing bowl, scraping bowl down periodically. Add eggs, one at a time. Blend in vanilla.
  4. Mix in dry ingredients. Lastly, add coconut and chocolate chips.
  5. Divide dough between two baking sheets. Shape into two logs that are 1” high and just under 3” wide, one per baking sheet. The length will depend on the amount of dough on each baking sheet.
  6. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes (apparently both at once, which I've never done for biscotti before. I couldn't fit both on the same rack so I put one on the rack below the other). Remove from oven and cool on baking rack for 20 minutes.
  7. If you are doing the topping: Stir together sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
  8. After 20 minutes, use two spatulas to transfer each loaf to cutting board. Slice into ¾” slices. Return slices back to parchment covered baking sheet.
  9. Roll each slice in cinnamon/sugar mixture and return back to baking sheets.
  10. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and use a metal spatula to turn biscotti over. Return to oven, rotating the pans front to back and side to side (wasn't sure what this meant so I just swapped the two baking sheets and rotated them). Bake at 350°F for an additional 15 minutes, until biscotti are golden brown.
  11. Remove from oven and eat hot, warm or cold.

Nonni (and the ladies she counts with) loved them. And I have to admit, I do like making biscotti.








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...