Saturday, January 19, 2019

Coconut Jam Squares

Nonni's present was a bit hard to pick out. She had heart surgery back in August so I wanted to make something that was heart-healthy. Mom told me to try and be low on butter and salt. I also wanted to find something that would taste good with coffee and could maybe pass as breakfast because Nonni always texts me a few days after getting a gift from me saying that she's enjoying her present with her morning coffee. After lots of looking I found a recipe for squares with coconut and raspberry jam in my 500 Best Cookies, Bars, & Squares cookbook.







Coconut Jam Squares (500 Best Cookies, Bars, & Squares, pg. 180)


Ingredients

Base


  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening/butter

Topping


  • 1 cup raspberry jam (I just bought a jar of my favorite seedless jam from the store. In hindsight, I should've asked my parents for some from their jar of what we call "Nonni's jelly" - aka homemade jelly that Nonni often makes when we bring her raspberries. It has seeds but it would've been more appropriate.)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cups flaked coconut


Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease 9-inch square cake pan.
  2. Base: In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using two knives, a pastry blender, or your fingers, cut shortening in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press evenly into prepared pan.
  3. Topping: Stir jam until smooth and spread evenly over base.
  4. In a large bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, sugar, and baking powder until blended. Stir in coconut. Spread evenly over jam. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely then cut into squares. Or serve warm, topped with whipped cream, if desired (I made these on the Friday before Christmas so I just covered them and kept them in the fridge all weekend).

I'm not sure if Nonni loved them but apparently she gave a couple to Auntie Vicki, who loved them.








No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...